Sunday, July 27, 2008

Portraits of St. Louis Artists: Thomas Shepherd

.
Thomas Shepherd is a photographer who works with traditional prints, collage, silver gelatin prints and even prints on canvas. You can see some of his images here. We had a long talk about his work. I was loaded with digital gizmos and he shoots film. He had some small prints for sale that he shot with a cheap imported film camera with light leaks camera, not a Holga but apparently something similar. I bought a terrific image of a broad, curly-haired man's head, nothing below the chin, that seemed to be launched upward by the triangular peak of a house's roof. It felt good to talk shop with a professional photographer, take his portrait and not feel like a total poser.

WHAT I SAW TODAY: Up The Yangtze, a documentary about the human cost of the Three Gorges Dam. If you've been to China or just are interested in its explosive changes, go see it.
TOMORROW:
St. Louis artists portraits continue with Gary Passanise, painter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I find his not switching to digital staggering. As someone who did the film bit for decades; to not use digital is unthinkable. There is no added merit in film. At least not for me.

Virginia said...

I'm with Abe on that one. I have to have immediate gratification ( or in most cases immediate disappointment!) and see my photos right away. I like the way you present Mr. Shepherd in BW. Good choice.
Would like to see the photo you bought. Take a picture of it for us!

Knoxville Girl said...

Yes, b&w is somehow appropriate for a photographer's portrait. I've heard it's not the quality of the camera, but the skill of the operator that creates a good photograph. You, sir, have a very good skill.

Jilly said...

Yet another great portrait - and presumably B and w to honour the sitter. Or is there another reason? It works anyway - and very well. What an expression he has.