Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thursday Arch Series

.
The Arch looks so smooth from a distance but has so much detail when you are close. This shot is on the inner side of the south leg, just over the ground. These stainless steel plates get smaller as the structure tapers from bottom to top. Imagine the precision needed for their manufacture. The irregularity of tone from plate to plate is also interesting. I have no idea why that is so.

WHAT TODAY'S OPPORTUNITY AND CHALLENGE IS: I have nothing on my work calendar today. I'm going to close my office door, put a Do Not Disturb sign on it and attack the mountain of files that need my attention. Sisyphus, get to work.


TOMORROW:
it's the final weekend of the regular baseball season. Since our team didn't make the playoffs, we will say a slow farewell.

6 comments:

Virginia said...

I would never have guessed this was the arch in a million years. From you other closeups you ohave shown us it doesn't resemble them either. I like the vairations in color and your angle. This is a good one S.T.

PJ said...

Whenever I see the arch photos they never strike me as cold or impersonal. I think it's endlessly fascinating.

Barbara Rahal said...

hoo that is odddddd I love your angles Imagree with Virginia!..excellent capture!! I loved the balloons too very much!!!

Anonymous said...

I still think that thing will fall down in a wind storm some day like my old cherry tree did last Sunday.

The stainless steel panels must be just a "skin" covering the main support structure aren't they?

Jane Hards Photography said...

It is a facinating structure especially seen from many angles like this stark image.

Good luck with the uphill ball rolling.

Pat said...

Love the arch. I like standing right underneath one leg and looking up along that inner corner.

We left StL the year before the Rams came to town. Now live in AZ. Would you like the Football Cards back?