Sunday, October 5, 2008

Dancing In the Street: Attack of the Giant Ostriches

.
For the second year in a row, the Grand Center Arts and Entertainment District sponsored Dancing In the Street to kick off the fall season. During the day-long event, the area's main street and several side streets are blocked off. Stages are erected for non-stop dance and music performances. The top act was Neighbourhood Watch Stilts International from Newcastle Upon Tyne, England. I missed the performance but this odd bird is part of their bit of agitprop street theater, Les Oiseaux de Lux. Young ladies of St. Louis no longer dare walk about in broad daylight.

WHAT'S ON FOR SUNDAY: Not a day of rest! I do some volunteer photography for community organizations. Today I'm shooting the annual Blessing Of the Animals at Christ Church Cathedral, the Episcopal cathedral of our city. And I want to get some pictures at our Soulard neighborhood's Oktoberfest. Then dinner with the family to celebrate my son-in-law's birthday. Then a performance of musical political satire by the uproarious Captol Steps. Check their web site for some audio clips. Can't wait to see what they do to Palin. Speaking of which:
TOMORROW: It's Beginning to look a lot like Christmas..

15 comments:

Virginia said...

I don't know about the rest of you out there but if that purple guy on that ostrich was coming my way I'd do more than giggle. Those things creep me out. In college one of the dwarfs at Disneyland scared me to death! Don't say it.

Love the flow chart. It would be really funny if it weren't so apparently true. Watched some clips last night (WHY?) and noticed that she fumbled with cards or something the entire debate. Obviously unable to throw out a coherent response without help.

ft. lauderdale daily photo said...

The color in this shot is so vivid, and the little girl's expression is fantastic. Wonderful shot.

Hilda said...

Love this photo! The creature's colors are fantastic and the young girl's expression is precious.

Hope you have a grand time with your family!

Knoxville Girl said...

At least the girl was preoccupied with the fluffy ostrich and not the purple rider - which creeps me out too. I love her expression - can almost hear her giggle.
I got an email from a friend about Ms Palin as the good ol' post turtle - have you heard that one before?
Turtle's balanced on top of a fence post. You know she didn't get up there by herself, she doesn't know what to do while she's up there, and you wonder what kind of dumbass put her up there to begin with.

Beth said...

Thanks for the link! Much appreciated. Also, that flow chart is HILARIOUS :) I'd never heard of that group - will have to look them up!

Wayne said...

Virginia creeped out by a dwarf is the funniest thing I've heard this week. I could go to town with this but I better not.

I like this purple guy/girl. I'm always awed by stilt performers who can work for long periods in amongst crowds.

The colour is stunning. Another great shot ST.

Virginia said...

Wayne, if you think that's funny, I will email you the "rest of the story"!

Saretta said...

I love the young woman escaping out the bottom right corner of the photo!

Hope said...

What out for the purple ostrich!

Unknown said...

Very good capture! Well done!

PJ said...

Gasp! (She thought as soon as she saw it. Really.)
He looks like a purple hip-hop version of the Edward Norton's King of Jerusalem. I'll bet the dancing was so much fun.

Jilly said...

Superb photograph. Vibrant colour against the young girl's expression. And I fell about at the Sarah Palin Debate Flow Chart. Too funny except it's not of course, just scary.

Anonymous said...

This debate chart is soooo good. hahaha Can I copy it?

valeria said...

Great picture! Such a perfect shot.
Oh, and the Sarah Palin flow chart is so funny! I will check Capitol Steps for more...

Ming the Merciless said...

OMG, I love the flow chart!! :-)