Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thursday Arch Series

.
A different view from most of my Arch pix. In an earlier post, I mentioned that my wife and I stayed at a hotel downtown after our office holiday dinner last weekend.. I made sure to reserve a room with a view of the Arch. This was shot early the next morning on a very gray day. It's an HDR to pump it up a bit. Hard to tell from this picture, but the Mississippi River level is really low.

WHAT I WAS FANTASIZING ABOUT: retiring and spending all that silly work time on photography and reading more books. Ha! Fat chance. My 401(k) has lost at least a third of its value this year and I couldn't get health insurance anywhere in this fine country outside of work until I'm 65 and eligible for Medicare. So, nose back to the grindstone, Bobby.

TOMORROW: something not at all Christmas-y. Ggrrrr. Who needs TV when you have...


There is a new Arch photo
today on Gateway.

11 comments:

Janet said...

Beautiful view of the arch, the sky, the smokestack and the river.

Sharon said...

Are those the buildings of Laclede's Landing in the foreground? It looks familiar.

Bob Crowe said...

Sharon - they are indeed.

Virginia said...

The arch looks so unassuming from this angle. Funny how different it looks in all of your photos. Guess that's why we keep coming back for more.
V

Knoxville Girl said...

HDR worked really well to make that leaden sky look even heavier. The Arch is holding it up, with great effort.

Unknown said...

This pic makes me yearn for my hometown in all it's wintery grayness.

Victor said...

A fine HDR today Bob, the arch really pops.

Universal health care is at the top of our list of reasons we immigrated to Canada. My wife and I are both self-employed and in the states, all we could afford was minimal coverage. If something bad had happened, we would've had to sell our house. As you can imagine, we breathed a huge sigh of relief when we were handed our BC care cards.

Shutterup-Shutterbug said...

Hi Bob. Great photo. I love the sky.

Jane Hards Photography said...

The arch really draws the eye and adds to the perspective of the whole image. Retire now- take up photography.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, you're wasted in your job. You could turn pro tomorrow.

I thought the hotel you mentioned in your comment on my photo yesterday (was the Hilton) is now the Crowne Plaza, but then I'm wondering if there's still a Hilton there too. Did you mean the one with reflective windows? If so that's the Crowne Plaza. I agree with you - amazing views, especially now with the Science Centre, new BBC building and the Squinty Bridge (surely modelled on your Arch), but probably not so great for human contact after dark.

Troop 1309 said...

That is a great shot!