Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Portraits of St. Louis Artists - Garrett Roberts

.
As promised, we are stating a little series of portarits of the artists I met at the Soulard Art Market gallery last Sunday. Garrett Roberts is a photographer who has permanent space there (so you can go check it out any time). His mix of images done in infrared, hand-colored or shot with a Holga is fascinating. I just love his photo in the bottom picture, a cartoonish bowler passing in front of the Arch in a parade, shot with a Holga. Garrett, hold that one for me. I'd like to buy it the next time I'm at SAM.

Do yourself a favor and browse through Roberts' web site
here.


WHO WAS THAT POTENTIAL NEW CLIENT WHO CALLED ME YESTERDAY?
A former lawyer who is picking away on a Ph.D. thesis in constitutional history. Don't get a lot of that. Awful serious medical problems, though.


TOMORROW:
the Thursday Arch Series is back from break, along with a new Arch photo on Gateway.

9 comments:

cieldequimper said...

That's a wonderful idea, I can't wait for the next ones! I love the angle for those photos, he seems to be a very talented man.

Olivier said...

sympathique tes portraits de cet artiste. j'ai regardé son site, tes photos et un monde très original. j'aime beaucoup
nice your portraits of this artist. I looked at its site, at your photographs and at the very original world. I like very much

Virginia said...

OK spill it. What were you standing on? Love the POV on this one. SUper shots of this guy and yes, you MUST have that photograph. It's got you written all over it! I am visiting his site. Want to see his work up close. Looks amazing.

V
PS Thank heavens we finally got out of that creepy part of town! You wore me out and I was worried about our safety.

Bob Crowe said...

Virginia - Roberts has his own room in the gallery and it's quite small. I was standing on a metal folding chair using a wide angle lens at 18 mm. By the way, there are more pix from "that creepy part of town" in the queue. No worries.

Victor said...

I went straight to his website and loved it. There are several images I'd buy in a heartbeat. Wonderful stuff. Your portrait of him is excellent but I must implore you: Don't ever stand on a folding chair to get a photo again! Really! The last time I did that was 1994 and 30 innocent people heard me scream the F word at the top of my lungs when my arm snapped upon impact with the floor. The chair collapsed from under me. No photo is worth that kind of pain I assure you.

Colin said...

Stopped in his room at the gallery a couple Sundays ago- he's a friend on MySlart.org. His stuff is really cool!

Ming the Merciless said...

I like his photo you featured at the bottom too. It's iconically St. Louis but with an original twist to it.

The memories of writing my PhD thesis give me the hives. There were many a days when I went home to the apartment, curled up in a fetal position and cried, slept and went back to work on it. But then again, back then I never had to worry about a tanking 401k. :-)

PJ said...

You could take those industrial pieces and put them on the wall and it would be just fine with me. I like the discs and the power plant especially.

PJ said...

I've been debating getting a Holga. I bought a Kodak Duoflex to do TtV but haven't made my adapter yet. It gives much the same effect as the Holga and I won't have to fiddle with film. I've seen a lot of hacks for going Lomo on Flickr and Instructables and I think I'll just stick to digital. The subject matter probably isn't your taste but this is what you can do with TtV:
http://heyharriett.blogspot.com
When are you going to get your own room?