Friday, August 13, 2010

Rain Gauge

.
Rain Gague

The bronze statue of Lewis and Clark landing on the west bank of the Mississippi at St. Louis has been on this blog many times before. It's my rain gauge, a marker of the river level. We are now a bit down from flood state. Meriwether Lewis is dry almost to the waist but poor William Clark has nothing but the brim of his hat above water.

By the way, Lewis is not wearing a funny hat. That's the stock of his rifle. And Clark is not using a snorkel, although he needs one. That's the barrel of his rifle poking up out of the water. Why one points down and the other up is something we would have to ask the sculptor.

Sorry for the lack of comments these last couple of days. I'm speaking at a legal conference in Columbia, Missouri, half-way between St. Louis and Kansas City. On the run, as always. The Internet service at the hotel is spotty.


6 comments:

lewi14@gmail.com said...

Great shot. Looks like a last "Good-Bye"... Very touching...

PJ said...

I like the way you've framed it and the water is just as interesting as the sculpture.

brattcat said...

Well, this shot certainly isn't spotty. It's an excellent flood gauge.

cieldequimper said...

I'd never noticed before how much likeness he has to Prince Charles.

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Where is the water usually? I know my Mom says they haven't had any rain in awhile.

T. Becque said...

Great composition and subject! I like these water shots with the statue you do - very interesting. Or maybe I'm just fascinated with water since we don't have any here :)