Saturday, April 16, 2011

STL DPB Eating Its Way Across Chicago

.
George's Hot Dog's 1

What a great combination: eat, architecture and exercise. Yesterday, we went on a walking and eating tour of Chicago's Bucktown and Wicker Park neighborhoods run by Chicago Food Planet. Six restaurants or food sellers, six tastes ranging from what might be the world's greatest felafel pita sandwich to the world's greatest hot chocolate. In between, neighborhood history and lessons on architecture. Yum. Wow.

The first and last stops are pictured here. First, George's Hot Dogs, featuring all-beef, low fat and delicately seasoned sausage served the real Chicago way, topped with yellow mustard, pickle relish, chopped onion, tomato, hot peppers, celery salt and a pickle spear. Umm. Don't wear a white shirt.

Below, I Cream and its owner, Cora Shaw. She came up with the concept while in business graduate school at the University of Chicago: frozen desserts made in a flash by blasting the ingredients with liquid nitrogen. The super-fast freezing causes tiny ice crystals and an extremely smooth texture. Customers pick their own base (ice cream, frozen yoghurt, sorbet), combinations of flavorings and colors. They say that over a million combinations are possible. Heavenly.

Once again, I've been terrible about comments. We don't leave
don't leave much free time when we travel.

George's Hot Dogs 2

I Cream 2 (Cora)

I Cream 1



Downtown St. Louis 365 gets a benediction.

Working Families Rally 1 (Rev. Teresa Mithen)

4 comments:

Kate said...

Spent time in Chicago years ago as a young adult and still love the place. Your food photos are wonderful. Absolutely NOTHING like a Chicago hot dog.

Birdman said...

Pray for us all! Especially after consuming the 3 dogs and pickles. Looks scrumptious!

Sharon said...

Oh how you've made my mouth water for a wonderful Chicago style hot dog! When I was living there I would frequent Gold Coast Dogs and I've never found anything to compare. Yum!

Virginia said...

Just yesterday we were taking the kids to Sonic for a cold drink after soccer game and my daughter and I were marveling at the toppings on their Chicago dog. I'm skeptical but a zillion folks can't be wrong. I'll try one one of these days and get back with ya.
V