Monday, August 15, 2011

SPLAT

.
Tomatofest 7

Iron Barley is a bar and restaurant in a blue collar neighborhood way down on the south side. Its tone is somewhere between funky and biker. I've had lunch there and enjoyed it and I've never met a biker who wasn't happy to have me take his picture (more about which later in the week).

Its big annual event is Tomatofest. Every year as the crowds grow they make a bigger and bigger BLT sandwich - I mean from here to the horizon. However, this year's big attraction was what was euphemistically called tomato dodge ball. There was a playing field marked out in the street, an actual referee, backstops to limit the spray onto the crowd but, to my great surprise, no sponsorship deal with a laundry detergent. More red stains tomorrow.


Tomatofest 6

Tomatofest 4

10 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Been looking forward to these Bob and you sure delivered! Looks like a great way to work out a few frustrations, and how about this guy above, looks like he's a pro cricketer lining up for the best bowl of the century!! Excellent!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

This looks like it could hurt. I think that there is town in Spain, maybe Valencia, where the have a large street fight using thrown tomatoes.

Stefan Jansson said...

A bit lie the tomatina in Buñol, must have been fun!

cieldequimper said...

Walking spaghetti bolognese, cool!

Can't wait to get my teeth into a BLT. Hopefully on 8 Sept.

Birdman said...

The tomato coming from this white t-shirted fellow is going to sting!

Ming the Merciless said...

Pretty cool photos. And yes, I'm surprised none of the detergent makers have stepped up to sponsor the event. Maybe you could broker one and pocket the fees. :)

To answer your question, no I have not been to Death Valley. My travels within the continent of US is still somewhat limited. But I will add that to my list.

Olivier said...

ma maman m'a toujours dit que l'on devait pas jouer avec de la nourriture ;)

Jack said...

This looks like quite an event. The guy in white looks very serious. His is going to sting.

Pat said...

Now that looks like a heck of a lot of fun. Where do I sign up? Wonderful action captures!

Kris McCracken said...

They look far too tasty to be throwing about!