Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mulholland Drive

.
LA 2011-11-11 37

A mountain ridge runs between central Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley. Mulholland Drive winds along the crest. People around the world know it for the movie of the same name.

It seemed to me there was some famous overlook where you could see the lights of the LA grid as the sun set, but where was it? The first place I pulled into turned out to be the biggest dog park I'd ever seen, a mountainside of mutts. Eventually I found Runyon Canyon Park. You could walk down paths from the road to several viewpoints and eventually a path leading all the way down to the valley floor. There were views of downtown (LA has one but the city is so polycentric you would never know) and the famous Hollywood sign.

And so we bid good night and farewell to Los Angeles. We'll be back one day. For now - briefly - home to The Lou and photos of our magnificent symphony hall. Then we're on to Kansas City Wednesday and Marysville, Kansas, for the Thanksgiving holiday. Seems like I'm hardly ever home.

LA 2011-11-11 38

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Very dramatic!

Los Angeles is one of those cities that has no business being where it is, of course. Mulholland himself was in on the scheme to swindle a water supply for the city early in the twentieth century... without which the city just couldn't exist.

Petrea Burchard said...

I've been scrolling through your LA posts--it's interesting to get your point of view. I especially love the Hollywood shots.

I've been here a long time now, so a lot of this is I'm used to. But like so many people here, I grew up somewhere else. Just so you know, there are homey, sweet neighborhoods here, too. I wouldn't live in Hollywood or Beverly Hills for anything.

Stefan Jansson said...

I remember the movie, Two good photos here.